Friday, May 25, 2012

Garden 2012

My garden this year is much like last year.  I still have a few things I want to plant but for the most part got most of it planted last week.  This year I have: spinach, green onions, peas, lettuce (all dead or got eaten), pumpkin, corn, green beans, bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, tomatoes, egg plant, cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumber, acorn squash, and butternut squash.

Most of the seeds I planted are just seeds I had left over from last year.  This year we also invested in a drip irrigation system that I put together.  We found a really affordable kit at Harbor Freight.  I was able to get a few pieces from Home Depot that made it work perfect for us.  It was a lot easier then I thought it was going to be. In the end I think it will pay for itself in just the first year with the water it will save.  I also hear it is a better for the plants.

I tried to start the watermelon, bell peppers, tomatoes, egg plant, cantaloupe, and broccoli from seed inside a few months before I wanted to plant, but they didn't grow very well so I ended up buying tomatoes, and egg plants from a nursery.

I can't wait for it to start producing.

My starts I planted inside in March
Spinach (surrounded by marigolds)
Green Onions (again surrounded by marigolds)
This is where I planted the lettuce, but at this point only one plant was still there.  Right now all of them are now gone.  I'm not sure if they were eaten or just didn't get watered enough.
Our garden (before I put the drip system in)
Garden from the other side

I plan on doing a 1st of the month update for reference during future years.

No comments: